FOR ALOT OF MUSIC MAKERS, WRITERS AND ARTISTS TODAY, THE SAD TRUTH IS THAT THE BEST WAY TO HAVE A CAREER IN MUSIC IS TO NOT HAVE A CAREER IN MUSIC.
Whether it’s smashing the charts, or packing 5000 capacity venues, or playing on the main stages at major festivals, a lot of UK bands, producers, artists, and especially song writers are balancing their musical life with the 9-5 world of work, which by the way is still not a guarantee that they are out of poverty.
Using the latest technology and in partnership with existing social media channels, SALUTE is changing how we, as makers and lovers of music, experience and share music, whilst offering Music Makers the opportunity to develop their careers in a whole new way.
At the heart of the SALUTE Music Makers competition is our platform, which gives Music Makers an alternative opportunity to showcase their stories and their work. Of the six SALUTE Finalists who take part in the SALUTE Finals broadcasted on Facebook Live, five take home £10,000 cash each, with the SALUTE Music Makers winner taking home £50,000 – the largest independent music cash prize in the world!
The SALUTE competition is free to enter and up to four tracks can be submitted.
So what does SALUTE offer you UK Music Makers? Simply…
- We employ the services of industry professionals to judge and curate your music
- We have a total prize money of £100,000
- All entrants will share in a % of the advertising revenue – not just the winners
- We are spending over £500,000 on marketing to publicise all entrants and winners
- The winner will go into the finals of the Songwriting category of Unsigned Music Awards (UMAs) which take place in May 2018
- The entrants will receive unprecedented exposure through Facebook and other social platforms as well as local and national press
- Opportunity for Music Makers to be curated by Continental Drifts & Global Local on live music stages at some of the UK’s biggest music festivals in 2018.
The Salute competition reflects the dramatic changes in the landscape in which new music is written, recorded, shared, and monetised. The advantage of SALUTE is that we are here to reach out and support independent Music Makers in their careers. We believe that we can empower Music Makers in a very authentic and organic way whilst building a platform that will pave the way for them to develop their careers like never before.
OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE MUSIC ON YOUR TERMS WITH A TRANSPARENT MODEL FOR FINANCIAL REWARD
With digital streaming we have entered into a world of value-share business models as opposed to the buy-sell world of physical retailing. SALUTE is about sharing the value we collectively generate with a simple value chain that works for independent Music Makers. SALUTE aims to play a part in putting the songwriters’ case forward, in the digital age.
- Of the six Salute Finalists, five take home £10,000 each, with the Salute Music Makers winner taking home £50,000 – the largest independent music prize in the world.
- We only ask for a license to use your work, the rights in the work revert back to you after the competition closes.
- All entrants will make money whilst in the competition, not just the winners. Music Makers will be paid when their songs are listened to on our platform. SALUTE has committed to a pioneering shared revenue model whereby 5% of all net advertising and sponsorship income will be shared between all of our Music Makers at the end of the competition based on the number of streams for each song.
- SALUTE is licensed by the PRS, so all PRS members will be paid when their tracks are listened to on our platform.
CONNECTIONS TO KEY INDUSTRY CONTACTS
The SALUTE platform is made for Music Makers and Music Lovers to come together to discover and share new music from their favourite indie Music Makers, writers, bands, producers, and artists. SALUTE uses technology and social media to engage music lovers in a co-creative process to decide the outcome of the competition. With support from industry curators we (the lovers of music) will decide who will win our massive no-strings-attached cash prizes.
- Your music will be listened to and curated by a panel of senior industry professionals.
- Our curators are tasked with evaluating entrants’ content but are also people who can be influential in Music Makers’ careers.
ARTISTIC DEVELOPMENT AND GLOBAL AUDIENCES
We know that surviving in today’s artistic and economic climate is tough. We’ve seen how Kickstarter campaigns now pay for projects and tours, with music being used as a ‘loss leader‘, in other words, dished out for free on Soundcloud or Youtube in an effort to build an audience for live shows as well as to try and collect record sales/stream.
But even a touring band will tell you that road life is relentless if you want to break even or actually try and make some money, especially if you or your band are signed to a multiple rights (360) deal with a label. So we know how important it is to get your work to the right audiences.
- SALUTE is investing over £500,000 in marketing to publicise the entrants and winners and build an audience with global scale for independent Music Makers.
- Music Makers will showcase their music nationwide via digital, print and traditional TV media.